stories high, over 1,000 feet long and 300 feet wide, the hangars
were, and still are, two of the
largest wooden structures ever built. Designing and building
the two structures in 1942, during wartime, on a
hyper-accelerated schedule and with a nearly all-wood design,
is what earned the hangars their 1993 listing
by the American Society of Civil Engineers as one of the “Historic
Civil Engineering Landmarks” of the 20th Century.